(with permission from The Enlightened Kitchen, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. ©Marie Oser 2002)
This delicious banana bread is topped with crunchy TOSTEDS, roasted soynuts that add the goodness of soy with 1/3 less fat than traditional nuts.
- One 9″ by 5″ loaf
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup soy flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup prune puree
- 3/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1 tablespoons egg replacer powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup enriched vanilla soymilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup TOSTEDS soynuts (plain)
- Preheat oven to 350° Spray 9″ by 5 loaf pan with olive oil.
In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour with soy flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, blend prune puree with sugar. Add mashed bananas and blend. In a small bowl, whisk egg replacer powder with water until foamy. Add to banana mixture with vanilla, and soymilk, and mix thoroughly. Fold the dry ingredients into the liquid, mixing just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and top with TOSTEDS. Bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.